Improving your website’s ranking in search results - Search Engine Optimization (SEO) - is the core of our business. “Search engine optimization” is the process of “optimizing” your website so that Google assesses it favourably and ranks it higher in “search” results.
Google computes rank according to three main criteria:
- How easily and efficiently Google can discover, render, and index the pages on your website, what we term technical SEO;
- The relevancy of your website’s content (in relation to specific search queries,what are called “keywords”); and
- How many sites link to your site and the influence of those sites, what we call authority in the SEO world.
No doubt many aspects of SEO are highly technical and remain “under the hood” of the website, never visible to the ordinary person browsing a website. However, the main touchstone of search rank is something very simple and common sense: Does your website or web page efficiently address the question(s) intended by a given search query?
Thus, the best practitioners of SEO, like us, are not only abreast of Google’s latest official pronouncements and technical documentation but crack marketers who scratch beneath the surface of the assignment to understand the mindset and language used by consumers to search within a given product category. A consumer’s behavior and language when searching for, say, a bakery versus a car dealer, are undoubtedly very different. That said, there’s no such thing as a purely cookie-cutter approach to SEO. Instead, great SEO entails four kinds of knowledge:
- Technical knowledge of SEO best practice;
- Knowledge of the client’s industry;
- Knowledge of the client-business’ competitive strengths and advantages within that industry;
- Understanding consumer behavior, especially nomenclature, for that product category.
Many SEO agencies can do a serviceable job with the technical implementation but, at Cogney, we love rolling up our sleeves to get into the guts of your business. After all, great SEO is about the people doing it: do they possess the intellectual curiosity and breadth to step into the shoes of both consumer and the business owner? It is Cogney’s technical knowledge combined with our culture of going the extra mile that explains our peerless record of success across so many different industries.